Sunday, September 21, 2008

The strength of our girl!

This is Devron, and I just got back from the hospital and wanted to let you know a little about my afternoon with Tami.
When I headed up to the hospital earlier I said a prayer that I would take a peace with me that Tami would feel, that I would know what to say and when not to speak at all.
When I got there , she was alone and it was so nice just to sit there in the silence with her. She looked at me lovingly and I felt the peace the I had prayed for. After a few minutes she said, "You look beautiful!" Even though I questioned her, I knew that she meant it. We continued to share a few words at a time and it was so nice just to sit with her. She even rubbed my hand back, as if trying to comfort me. I left after a little while and then returned and when I got back into her room the physical therapist and the occupational therapist were in there and they sat Tami up so that she could try and work some of her tired muscles and so she could try and see out the window. The P.T. asked if there was a picture in the room of Tami and I showed him one. He asked how recent it was, and I told him, very. I then commented that she was a hottie, and she seemed to thoroughly enjoy that. Every time we would mention that was a hottie, she would get a big grin on her face. Before I left I even heard a chuckle out of her. I also got to see her sit up and not want to lay down, because, even though it was very uncomfortable, she knows that it is the way back to recovery. Thank you Doug the P.T. for lightening the mood and making my Tami chuckle.
Today gave me hope. Hope that even though this is an awful tragedy, Tami is stronger than even she knows. She will always want to try longer and harder and that is why she will come through this. The road may be long, but she will be determined to travel it.
I have always admired the strength of this amazing girl and she just continues to amaze me.
Love Devron
P.S. I forgot to tell that the occupational therapist kept trying to get her to pucker her lips and Tami wouldn't do it, so finally the O.T. asked her to stick her tongue out, and Tamisaid,"For Ice Cream." Tami was trying to bargain with her, it made me smile.

1 comment:

Grandma Ann said...

My darling Devron comforts my precious Tami and in turn comforts me. I love my family and Tami and Albert's extended family and I know that we will continue to see this miracle unfold. I know there will be days when we wonder. . .but most of all we will celebrate the 'wonder' of Tami. Thanks again to all for your love, contributions, faith and support. Grandma Ann